Thursday, January 10, 2013

Buffalo '66 (1998)

The following is a review written 10 years ago by an 18-year-old Craig Duffy for an anthology put together for his 12th-grade English class. It has not been edited in any way...
*      *      *

I consider myself a fan of independent film. I have seen countless "indies" (short for independent film) since I discovered my love for film. Some people may think that some Kevin Smith (Chasing Amy) or John Waters (Cecil B. Demented) film would be my favorite in the independent category. A logical assumption (seeing as I do love those directors' work) but still a misconception. My favorite independent film is Buffalo '66.

Buffalo '66 is the story of a young man named Billy Brown (played by the amazing Vincent Gallo) just released from prison. Billy ends up kidnapping a girl played by Christina Ricci and forcing her to pretend to be his wife.

I know the premise may sound hokey or like a standard romantic comedy, but trust me, it's not. At the beginning of the movie most people find Billy annoying. He comes off like a possibly homicidal version of the neurotic characters Woody Allen always plays. But as the film progresses you inexplicably find yourself actually caring for Billy. The ability to make such a dramatic turn in the audience's eyes is all the work of Vincent Gallo. In addition to acting in the movie Gallo also wrote, directed and did the music. It's a wonder that he didn't get some kind of nomination for the film.

Not only is the film well acted, it's well made. The cinematography is simply beautiful. The color scheme is very bland, which reflects the coldness of the setting (Buffalo, New York in the winter). Also by using this very muted color scheme, other colors like reds and golds are allowed to catch your attention and bring it to crucial moments. Christina Ricci tap dancing and Billy's dad singing to Sinatra records have to be two of the most beautiful scenes ever photographed.

If nothing I've said has moved you to want to see this movie, I guess I'll just have to pull out the big guns. Christina Ricci, Ben Gazzara, Patricia Arquette, Mickey Rourke and Anjelica Huston all appear in this movie! Also for all you Matrix fans out there, this movie used the technique of bullet time photography a  full year before you saw the camera spin all the way around Keanu or some swing kids in a GAP commercial. If this hasn't gotten you to want to see this movie then I don't know what will. Next time you're at the video store see if they have it, and if they do you will find it's a lovely way to "span time."

*      *      *
A decade later and I still find myself agreeing with the points made in this piece. I think I might even like this film more now. When I wrote this, I had little knowledge of Vincent Gallo as a person. In subsequent years I've come to learn what a despicable person he can sometimes be, yet I still love this film. It's still in my Top-10. In my opinion, if a film can be good enough to make someone overlook the filmmaker's questionable behaviors and opinions, then it truly is a great film.

No comments:

Post a Comment