Wednesday, January 9, 2013

In A World...

Imagine yourself in a darkened theater; the scent of popcorn wafting through the air as the projector hums to life, slapping the screen with the MPAA green band (or if you’re naughty, a red band one). For many of us cinephiles, this is the best part of the movie-going experience. For a few minutes we are presented with a few fleeting images from movies we’re anticipating, film’s we’ve yet to hear about, and others we have zero desire to ever see. What often makes these little babies so nifty is how well put together. It’s hard to deny that there is a true art to creating a good, compelling trailer.

In the old days, people not even remotely involved with the finished film were hired by studios to slap together whatever footage they had on hand to create a trailer. The results were mixed. More often than not, the finished two-minute preview showed too much or gave off the wrong tone. However, in this day and age, more and more filmmakers are taking a more hands-on approach with this phase of the process. While the results are still a bit mixed, it’s nice to know that those creating the film are now able to choose what they present and how they present it.

I’m going to share with you a slew of movie trailers, many of these trailers are brilliantly done – some even better than the finished film. And then there are the others… 

The Sixth Sense (1999)
  
For me, this is the movie trailer litmus test. I remember seeing this one and being blown away. To this day I am pleased in knowing that what I saw in the trailer, gave me only the smallest hint of the film to come. No spoiling!

 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace – 1999 
While Star Wars Episode I: the Phantom Menace the film was a steaming pile of shit, the trailer was one of the most anticipated events in cinematic history. People waited hours in line to watch the trailer then walk out of Meet Joe Black (a good idea all around). This trailer got so much right in terms of tone, anticipation, and editing. It’s just such a pisser Lucas got so much of the film wrong. Oh well, here’s hoping Episode VII can make up for the mistakes of the past. 

 Soylent Green – 1973
What is the secret of Soylent Green? Well, if you watch the trailer for the film, it kind of spells it out for you. If you’ve seen this trailer, you’ve seen the movie. I always use this one as an example of one of the worst movie trailers ever. Every major plot point is spoiled; even the biggest one!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail – 1975 
I don’t think I need to tell you that this is flat out, one of the best movie trailers of all time. ‘Nuff said. 

 Jurassic Park – 1993
   
The teaser trailer for Steven Spielberg’s mega-hit Jurassic Park, is one of my favorite trailers. There isn’t a single shred of the actual film in the teaser and yet it gives you, the viewer something intriguing to nibble on in the meantime. This teaser is very similar to the following… 

Spider-Man – 2002
   
Aside from a few snippets at the end, nothing in this-here teaser was in the finished film. Sure, the quality of the new footage produced for the trailer isn’t up to snuff with the actual, finished product, but that wasn’t the point. Every comic-geek on Earth shit a brick once they caught on to what the teaser was for. 

ParaNorman – 2012
My last example of a stellar teaser/trailer is the following one for ParaNorman. Turning your preview into a minute long music video for Donovan’s "Season of the Witch" was a brilliant and imaginative way to catch an audience’s attention. Like the Sixth Sense trailer, this one leaves plenty to the imagination and doesn't spoil one moment of the actual film in any way. 

Tiptoes – 2003
It’s times like these that simple words escape me. I don’t know where to begin with this one. I’m sorry, I feel like I just opened Pandora’s Box or at the least, the Ark of the Covenant. Hopefully you, my gentle readers, did not have your faces melted like so much Nazi scum. Well, I’ll just leave it at that.

Don't be afraid to chime in with your most/least favorite trailer. Until next time kids and cadets, keep watching the screens.

- Colin (The Devourer of Worlds)

2 comments:

  1. Great trailers! Although I remember being disappointed when I saw The Sixth Sense and realized that the handprints shot in the movie was run backward for the trailer...womp womp!

    I'm a big fan of the Kill Bill Vol. 2 trailer...can't really top that for a sequel!

    --'Becca'lise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love trailers. They're often my favourite part of going to the movies. I don't know what it's like in theatres over there but here we are getting less and less - we got ONE when we went to see Les Mis and none when I saw TDKR. (I think this is partly because we have one cinema left in the city which used to only play indie or small release films but now, as the only cinema left within the city, it's having to pick up some bigger films and I guess needs 30 minutes of advertising before each movie to pay for them? I don't know how that sort of thing works).

    Anyway, as much as I love trailers I've never thought about what my favourites might be! These are great picks, though.

    ReplyDelete