Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Run Lola Run (1998)


A young woman (Franka Potente) has 20 min to get 100,000 dm in order to save her boyfriend's life. There are three ways for this to go down. All of them entertaining.

*      *      *

If I wanted I could turn this review into a dissertation on chaos theory and free will v. determinism. Or I could use it as a means to reflect on our media-saturated culture. Perhaps I could just keep it simple and tell you that this film is really really fun and has a great soundtrack. Three totally different paths. Which one should I take? Which one is the right one? I mean they're all equally valid. And I guess that's the real answer, isn't it? Any film that can provoke such philosophical and cultural discussion while simultaneously being a fun watch, must be one heck of a film.

"The ball is round, a game lasts 90 minutes, everything else is pure theory. Off we go!"

No comments:

Post a Comment