Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Spring Fashion at the Movies

Tomorrow is the first day of spring! As I stated in my fall fashion post, I think films are a great source of inspiration when it comes to my wardrobe. Spring to me means lots of brights and pastels, florals, and vintage silhouettes. Here are some of my favorite spring-ish looks from the silver screen!

Renee Zellweger as Barbara Novak in Down With Love (2003)
I love the costumes in this movie. When we first meet Miss Novak, she's wearing a pink and white dress with matching coat and hat, and it's so very 60s. Pink and white just makes you think of an Easter bunny in the best possible way!


Twiggy as Polly Browne in The Boy Friend (1971)
When in doubt, wear white! Twiggy's dreamy white 1920s frock gently fluttering as she swings on a flower-covered swing is the very definition of easy breezy spring style.


Marion Cotillard as Adriana in Midnight in Paris (2011)
We all left this movie either wanting to be or be with Marion Cotillard, right? I left the film coveting her wardrobe! Another white 1920s look, but this is sportier and less whimsical than the Twiggy version. I would wear the dress above right now.


Kathy Baker as Joyce in Edward Scissorhands (1990)
Hear me out! Yes, everything this woman wears is tacky as hell. But I secretly love this yellow and aqua number...it's fun and I love that the sweater matches the shoes, and with her red hair...I just love it.




 Lauren Bacall as Schatze Page in How to Marry a Millionaire (1953), Brittany Snow as Amber Von Tussle in Hairspray (2007) and Bryce Dallas Howard in The Help (2011)
I love all these looks for the same reason. The vivid florals/patterns combined with the 50s/60s full skirt silhouette is something I always gravitate towards this time of year.


Kirsten Dunst as Lux Lisbon in The Virgin Suicides (1999)
I guess I mean ALL the Lisbon girls, but who wants to type out all those names? Their delicate floral dresses and straight blonde hair made them all look ethereal and totally lovely. Who doesn't want to look like an angel? Don't worry, I won't be throwing myself out a window or anything anytime soon.


Audrey Hepburn as Jo Stockton in Funny Face (1957)
This is the look that inspired this post. First of all, I want her clothes in this film so much it's not even funny (face) (see what I did there?) (aaahahahaha). Anyways! That gorgeous dress + that hat + those gloves + a zillion gorgeous flowers = spring is HERE!


Mia Farrow as Rosemary Woodhouse in Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Pre-demonic pregnancy, Rosemary looked fresh and springy in a very bright 60s frock and adorable baby pigtails. Look out, Ro! Don't listen to that woman! Don't eat that chocolate mousse! NOOO!


Here's to spring!

2 comments:

  1. I love 'em all! Can I add Umbrellas of Cherbourg to the mix? So flush with springtones! Also, totally inspired to add Joyce Baker. I wouldn't wear it personally, but her pink frosting lipstick in later scenes is a DREAM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should do a part 2! Umbrellas of Cherbourg is total eye candy.

    ReplyDelete