Friday, February 22, 2013

Peter Pan (1953)


I have a confession: I am a slave to the Disney vault! I am one of those people who knows the exact date when Disney will release a beloved film from my childhood, and then I go snatch it up before it disappears again. I was super excited at the prospect of finally owning Peter Pan, so I thought I'd sing its praises here.  I'm not telling you the plot. If you don't know the plot of Peter Pan, I pity you.

My favorite thing about this film is Captain Hook vs The Crocodile. I will never not find Captain Hook bellowing "SMEEEEEEEEEEE!" hilarious. Add a drunk Smee, a murderous Tinkerbell, kids dressed as animals and the bitchiest mermaids EVER, and you've got yourself a pretty awesome cast of characters. I guess Peter Pan and the kids aren't terrible either, haha. And yes, there's that cringeworthy "What Makes The Red Man Red" sequence, but I guess you can't exactly rip that scene out of history.

Mad props, as usual, go to the artists (especially Mary Blair!)...it's so colorful and magical. The kids soaring over the clouds with the city beneath them, the golden ship lifting off into the air with a trail of pixie dust behind it, the children's parents at the end of the film gazing into the sky at the cloud-ship providing whispers of the childhood they left behind long ago...it all gives you that memory of being a kid and the wonderful mysteries that only the child's imagination can wonder and dream about. There may not be a real Neverland (or is there?) but this film definitely captures a slice of that magic for future generations to enjoy.

But seriously, Tinkerbell tried to have Wendy killed. I don't think she ever felt sorry for it, and she's the Disney mascot. That's kinda awesome.



No comments:

Post a Comment