Monday, July 16, 2012

A Small, Good Thing


Whenever I see a viciously negative review of a film, the following excerpt from Kurt Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse-Five inevitably passes through my mind:
“You know what I say to people when I hear they’re writing anti-war books?” 
"No. What do you say, Harrison Starr?” 
“I say, ‘Why don’t you write an anti-glacier book instead?’”  (pg. 4)
Like wars and glaciers, there will always be bad films. There’s no way to stop them. You especially cannot stop a bad movie with a review. I don’t care how well written it is, or how well the author makes his or her point. The fact remains: there will always be bad films. 

This is why I only write positive reviews on this blog. I have no interested in stopping people from seeing bad movies. What I want is to cause people to watch good movies. If my writing can get even one person to try out a film that they normally wouldn’t even consider, that is a small, good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment