Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Great Moments in Cinematic Swimwear

Ah, summer! Once it starts getting hot I like to dive into sparkling water in my modest one-piece and flowered bathing cap pretending I'm Esther Williams.

Okay, not really.

But Esther Williams brings to mind some of the great moments in swimwear that have graced the silver screen. Let's look at a few favorites, shall we?

Esther Williams in EVERYTHING

She made a bunch of movies featuring her as an underwater goddess, and now even has a line of swimwear. Well done!



Sandra Dee in Gidget (1959)

The original surfing "girl midget", Gidget had a different swimsuit in every scene! Despite her awkward I-don't-know-how-to-get-boys shtick, she managed to get the boy. Clever girl! This suit is a favorite...so cute! So orange!


Brigitte Bardot in The Girl In The Bikini (1952)

I'm gonna have to get all fashion-blogger on you and say "GO BRIGITTE! You WERQ that sexy lighthouse keeper's daughter look!"



Marilyn Monroe in How To Marry a Millionaire (1953)

Okay, so she's not actually swimming, only modeling. But you can't deny that she looks pretty fantastic. My favorite part about this scene? She promptly trips after showing this look off because she refuses to wear her glasses. Whoops!



Raquel Welch in One Million Years B.C. (1966)

Confession time: I actually haven't seen this film. But come ON. How could I not include THAT? Va va voom!



Marley Shelton in The Sandlot (1993)

Here's one for my generation! What 90s kid doesn't remember Wendy Peffercorn ("my darling lovergirl!") lotioning up and driving Squints to attempt to drown himself so that she'll save him? That's love right there!



Elizabeth Taylor in Suddenly, Last Summer (1959)

Stunning! Nobody has, or will ever, rock white like Liz did. Except maybe...



Ursula Andress in Dr. No (1962)

Mr. Bond, you lucky devil. She wins, everybody can go home now! 
Oh okay, you can stay!



Phoebe Cates in Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)

You didn't think I'd forget about Miss Cates, did you? For the sake of any of my relatives who may be reading this (hi mom and/or dad!), I didn't include the shot that she's REALLY known for. But you know what I'm talking about, you've seen them. Many times. Admit it.



Christina Ricci in Addams Family Values (1993)

Wednesday Addams, you are my hero.


Have a good summer, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Worst collection ever. No thought or imagination. Or research !

    ReplyDelete