Monday, July 30, 2012

Scarface (1983)


Observe the rapid rise of a Cuban immigrant named Tony Montana (Al Pacino) as he rises through the ranks of the Miami underworld. The world is his.

*      *      *

When I first saw this film I was absolutely ignorant of the politics at play. I simply just wanted to see a movie written by Oliver Stone and directed by Brian De Palma that people had told me was filled with crazy intense violence. 9th grade Craig was not disappointed. I plowed my way through that double cassette like it was nothing. It wasn't until 11th grade, when I became politically aware circa the 2000 Bush/Gore election, that I started to pay attention to that tagline on the poster: He loved the American Dream. With a vengeance. While it may look and sound like a gangster picture, Scarface is at heart, a vicious indictment of Ronald Reagan's America. A poison pen letter to laissez-faire. Tony Montana is the ultimate capitalist, Horatio Alger with a machine gun. Yet instead of inspiring political discourse, it inspired hip-hop videos. I guess there are more 9th grade Craigs out there than 11th grade ones. Le sigh....

No comments:

Post a Comment