Thursday, June 21, 2012

Rhapsody in Blue

Say what you want about Disney, they've had some talented people working over there. For music week I wanted to write a post about the Fantasia films, and how beautifully they tell stories with just music and visuals.

But I woke up with an insane headache, so instead you are just getting a video of my favorite segment in Fantasia 2000. It's Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue", with animation designed to imitate the work of famed artist/caricaturist Al Hirschfeld. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I can't visualize anything else anymore; when I hear that clarinet's initial slide up the scale, all I can see is that simple line that slowly turns into a cityscape. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love gershwin in "manhattan" as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite segments in film history. It's a love song to two wonderful artists: Gershwin and Hirschfeld. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete