Monday, May 21, 2012

Tetro (2009)

A young man (Alden Ehrenreich) arrives in Buenos Aires hoping to reconnect with his older brother Tetro (Vincent Gallo). Nothing goes as expected.

*      *      *

Francis Ford Coppola's career has covered the full spectrum of quality. He's made masterpieces like The Godfather, The Godfather Part II and Apocalypse Now. He's also made crap like Jack. Since the early 80s people have been trying to write him off as "past his prime". I've been guilty of this myself. But the more I examine his career, the more I admire it. So what if people have written him off? There's something freeing in that. It's like that verse in John Lennon's song "God":

I was the dream weaver
But now I'm reborn
I was the Walrus
But now I'm John. 

Gradually all the expectations fall away and you are free to just create. Free to follow your own muse and simply make what is interesting to you. Sure some films will be bad, but others will be good. Tetro definitely isn't The Godfather, but it's absolutely on par with The Conversation. And for my money, that's pretty damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment