Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The King's Speech (2010)


Introverted and stammering Bertie (Colin Firth), AKA Prince Albert, the Duke of York, AKA King George VI, begins taking elocution lessons with Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush) and the two form a very special bond.

I finally watched this one again after seeing it (and absolutely adoring it) in the theater. And yes, it’s just as good as the first time. The acting is superb (I like seeing Helena Bonham Carter in a non-batshit-crazy role!) and Colin Firth especially is just divine. Can you beat Colin Firth? I mean, really? I love him.

I’m getting sidetracked. But seriously, Colin Firth really carries this movie. The plot is uncomplicated but he really makes the story sing. Combine his performance with the beautiful photography and perfect soundtrack and you’ve got yourself a winner. Not to downplay Alexandre Desplat’s wonderful original music, but the use of Beethoven during the all-important speech and again just before the credits? Amazing. We’re talking goosebumps and misty eyes over a piece of music. But maybe that’s just me.

This film won the Oscar for Best Picture (and Best Actor, and Best Director, AND Best Original Screenplay) for a reason! Watch it, enjoy it, and thank me later.


1 comment:

  1. Though I have seen it more than 5 times. The movie flows so evenly, not one unimportant scene, you know the one or sometimes more than one that you fast forward. One scene you may shed a tear the next makes you smile or expel a chuckle. The movie is a story of love, friendship, honor and courage.

    ReplyDelete