Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Black Swan (2010)


After Nina (Natalie Portman) is unexpectedly promoted to prima ballerina for a production of Swan Lake, creepy shit starts to happen.

*      *      *

Do any of these statements sound familiar?

1) I don't watch action films.
2) I only watch comedies.
3) Musicals? Yeesh! I can't STAND them!

Well you know what I can't stand? People who outright dismiss entire genres of film! In full disclosure, I used to be among these ranks. For years I dismissed musicals as a whole. They were so old-fashioned and campy. It wasn't till about two years ago that I finally sat down and watched West Side Story. I was blown away. The music! The colors! The movement! Few films made today are as alive as that film is. Sure there are genres that reek of shit. Video stores are stacked to the brim with shitty horror films. But that's no reason to dismiss them all. Great stories of surprising depth can be told through the prism of any genre, including horror. Don't let a few rotten apples spoil the whole bunch. You just might be depriving yourself of a bona fide masterpiece!

No comments:

Post a Comment