Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Go (1999)

Three interconnected stories spell out the particulars of one wild night in Los Angeles and Las Vegas.


*      *      *

The Star Wars series aside, films don't change as the years go by. What changes is the viewer. Released between my freshman and sophomore years of high school, Go was a big film for me. I'd just started hanging out with a new group of friends and was experiencing a lot of firsts. Though I wasn't having nights as wild as the one depicted, Go felt true to the life I was living. So what if my point of reference character was Claire? Having recently re-watched it at the age of 28, the film now feels like a eulogy. A requiem for those nights when we were immortal and the most important question was, "What's next?" I don't give a fuck if the depiction of rave culture is 'inaccurate' and I don't care if it's a 'rip-off' of Pulp Fiction; this film has elicited strong emotional responses from me at two drastically different times in my life. How many films in your life can you honestly say that about?

No comments:

Post a Comment