Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou (2004)


Steve Zissou (Bill Murray) leads a band of explorers and filmmakers on a quest to find and kill the shark that killed a compatriot of theirs.

*      *      *

I'm pretty sure I've watched this more than any other Wes Anderson film. I'm certain that I've quoted it more than any other Wes Anderson film. Shot in Italy on giant sets and at sea, The Life Aquatic is an insanely ambitious film. It shoots for the moon. Though admittedly it doesn't hit the target, it comes extremely close. It's filled with so many great  moments, images and ideas - they just don't quite come together in the end...just like this review. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment