Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Drive (2011)


When an un-named getaway driver (Ryan Gosling) falls for a kind young mother (Carey Mulligan), things get complicated and blood gets spilled.

*      *      *

Normally I prefer pop music in film to be used ironically. Stuff like, Neo-Nazi Bikers dancing around to "Party Lights" and Leo DiCaprio kicking the shit out of someone to "Nobody But Me". I hate it when the music is sooooo on the nose. Like Jim Carrey testing out his new God powers to this song. Yet for some reason I don't mind the spot-on cues in Drive. I think it has something to do with how stoic the character of Driver is. He's a man of few words, so the music has to speak for him. He doesn't eat. He doesn't sleep. He does nothing but think of her. Come to think of it, that song itself is ironic. As sweet as the the sentiment is, the scenario it describes is kind of stalker-esque. But then again, a lot of pop songs have obsessive undercurrents. Maybe that's what director Nicolas Winding Refn was trying to say with this film! Or maybe I'm just over-thinking all of this. Do I really need a reason to hate Bruce Almighty?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you on music being too on the nose. If it is not done well (which is pretty much all the time), it totally distracts your suspension of disbelief. But this time instead of rolling my eyes, my heart swelled.

    ReplyDelete