Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Natural (1984)


Roy Hobbs (Robert Redford) has a magical bat named "Wonderboy" and is really really really good at playing baseball.

*      *      *

I hate sports. I especially hate baseball. It's so slow. I mean at least with soccer they're constantly moving ya know? Anyway...Even though I hate baseball with a passion, I cannot help but love The Natural. It's one of those movies that sucks you in when you come across it while flipping channels. Yes it's formulaic and sure it traffics in archetypes, but so what? So what if everyone who's ever gone to film-school knows these story beats? If making a movie this good was as simple as connecting some dots, everyone would be doing it. Only the real naturals are capable of knocking one out of the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment