Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Home Alone (1990)




Home Alone is a classic for anyone of a certain age...my age, actually. We grew up with it. The first bad word I ever used was "ass" because I heard it in this movie. And now, as an adult, it seems I've committed the price of the pizza in the beginning of the film to memory. Kinda sad, no?

The plot, for those of you who don't know, centers around eight year-old Kevin McCallister (Macauley Culkin) who is accidentally left home alone when his family flies to Paris for their Christmas vacation. Two robbers (Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern) are determined to break into his house whether or not he's home, and he fights back (and how!).

This movie is great because of the unbelievably creative ways Kevin finds to fool and hurt the burglars. I have summarized it in this song.

"On the twelfth day of Christmas Kevin McCallister gave to them...
12 ornaments a-crunching
11 matchbox cars a-sliding
10 feathers a-flying
9 icy steps a-slipping
8 firecrackers a-popping
7 feet of rope a-swinging
6 mannequins a-dancing
5 golden teeth! (except really just one, oops)
4 black eyes
3 (rd) degree burns
2 paint cans
and a tarantula crawling on your faaaace!"

Thank you.

Also a big shout out to the awesome score! John Williams rocks my world, and I especially like the "Somewhere In My Memory" song which gives this movie real heart. This movie IS Christmas to me (among many others, but we'll get to those, haha). Might be worth a revisit this holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment