Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Departed (2006)


Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon) is a gangster undercover in the Massachusetts State Police, Billy Costigan (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a cop undercover in the mob. Shit gets intense. 

*      *      *

I know a fair amount of people out there think of this film as "lesser" Scorsese. I also know that there are some people who take issue with him winning an Oscar for such a "lesser" film. To them I say, "Fuck You". Yes he should have won for Raging Bull, yes he should have won for Goodfellas. So what? He won for this one and it's amazing. I've watched this film countless times in the 5 years since it's release, and it just gets better. I honestly can't believe that the Academy saw fit to honor a film this nihilistic. It makes me smile. On the soundtrack The Rolling Stones cry out with "Gimme Shelter", but there is none to be found. Everyone dies. This is no country for old men. Good thing Marty is still making films twice as good as men half his age.

No comments:

Post a Comment