Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: My Darling Clementine (1946)

Film: My Darling Clementine (74/250) 
Critics Poll: 235th 
Directors Poll: 132nd 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

As I stated when I revisited The Searchers for this challenge, westerns aren't really my cup of tea. But I really really liked this one, and that's probably because John Ford is just so damn good at making movies. Wyatt Earp (Henry Fonda) and Doc Holliday (Victor Mature) are so much more than stoic cowboy types. They let us see their vulnerability and their awkwardness. Fonda and Mature both turn out great performances, but I especially enjoyed Linda Darnell as Holliday's girl Chihuahua. She's a real firecracker, and delivers some nice verbal bitch-slaps to good girl Clementine (Cathy Downs). The whole cast plays off each other so well, and set against the backdrop of Tombstone and the untamable old west, those expanses of earth and sky...it's all so majestic. Good on you, Ford.

No comments:

Post a Comment