Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: The Searchers (1956)

Film: The Searchers (42/250) 
Critics Poll: 7th 
Directors Poll: 48th 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch


Ah, this is pretty much THE western, isn't it? John Wayne at his wise-cracking rugged no-nonsense peak. Westerns aren't really my thing. I can certainly appreciate a well-made western the way I can appreciate a good film in any genre, but I don't generally seek them out. This one, however, I have special regard for because it was one of my dad's favorite films. We watched it together when I saw it for the first time, and I remember him marveling at the quality of the DVD we were watching; he could finally see the scar on the Indian chief Scar's face. "So THAT'S why he's named Scar!" Revisiting this film was an interesting experience. It moved me a lot more than when I was a teen, and I was able to really take in all that gorgeous photography. Monument Valley never looked more beautiful, and the setting makes a perfect backdrop for all these complex characters facing these moral dilemmas. Definitely the place to start if you're new to westerns, and worth a revisit if it's been a while.  

No comments:

Post a Comment