Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Late Spring (1949)

Film: Late Spring (165/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch

I've seen a pitifully small number of films by legendary Japanese director Yasujirō Ozu, which is a shame because I really love this and I'm sure I'd love his other work. The story is timeless...like the seasons, these stories return and return. In this case, Late Spring could refer to the heroine of the story, who is late bloomer twenty-seven-year-old Noriko (Setsuko Hara). She is unmarried and lives and cares for her widower father. The two are devoted to each other, but the time comes that she must make some important decisions about her future. This film is really lovely, beautifully paced and shot, with some very memorable but subtle performances (I'm especially fond of the meddling but lovable Aunt Masa played by Haruko Sugimura). Revisiting this film made me so eager to catch up on Ozu's work...Tokyo Story next perhaps? If it's half as good as this, I'm sure I'm in for a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment