Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Gertrud (1965)

O
Film: Gertrud (147/250) 
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

Oof. I think this might be the last Dreyer film on the list, and while I immensely enjoyed Vampyr, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Ordet, and Day of Wrath, this one was an absolute snooze-fest. This story of a woman meeting past and present lovers consists mainly of excruciatingly long conversations where the characters stand in fancy rooms and don't look at each other. It moves at a snail's pace, and there's something weirdly off-putting about every single character. My understanding is that this has been a pretty divisive film over the years...upon its premiere, it was booed and called a disaster. Others hailed it as a masterpiece. I'm going with this quote: "Dreyer has gone from serenity to senility...Not a film, but a two-hour study of sofas and pianos." Its very presence on this list shows that it's a film that is held by many in high regard, but I just couldn't get into it. Still, I'm grateful that this movie challenge introduced me to Dreyer's other films. Can't win 'em all!

No comments:

Post a Comment