Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Sight & Sound Challenge: Close-up (1990)

Film: Close-up (143/250)
First Time/Rewatch: First Time

What a trip! I didn't know anything about this movie going into it, and I actually paused it ten minutes in to look up what I was watching. It felt like a documentary, but it also felt very staged...apparently they call that "docufiction" (thanks Internet!). The real-life case of a man posing as a famous filmmaker, getting caught, and taken to court is interspersed with scenes of reenactments (with the actual people playing themselves!) referred to in the court case. I couldn't get my mind around that part...can you imagine watching Judge Judy and then they show a depiction of the event starring the actual people in the case? I can't believe director Abbas Kiarostami got everybody to go along with it. And the reconciliation was so beautiful in its way. A nice surprise of a film.

No comments:

Post a Comment