Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Sight & Sound Challenge: Nosferatu (1922)

Film: Nosferatu (58/250) 
Critics Poll: 117th 
Directors Poll: 322nd 
First Time/Rewatch: Rewatch 

Unpopular opinion alert! I think this film is a teensy bit overrated. The image of the vampire Count Orlok is definitely striking, with his rat-like face and clawed hands, and there are a few shots that are absolutely chilling: Orlok's shadow reaching with impossibly long fingers, the vampire rising from his coffin, Orlok suddenly appearing in a black doorway. But between these images, there's a whole lot of nothing. The pace is glacial, and the supporting performances aren't too memorable. There was a moment when I was revisiting this that I thought to myself "Wow, is this the last time I'm ever going to watch this?" The answer is probably yes. This should probably be viewed at least once by the well-rounded cinephile to appreciate its role as one of the first vampire movies. But you know what? This film is one of the most highly-regarded films in the horror genre, so what do I know? Watch it and form your own opinion. Me, I'll stick to Lugosi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment