Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Craig Duffy Classic Film Festival


As it often does, attending the Turner Classic Movies Film Festival this past weekend got my brain spinning. If I were programming a film festival, what would I show? The easy answer is to just say "All of the best movies!" But what is your definition of "best"? Do you stick exclusively to epic, foreign dramas? Or maybe you go the commercial route and stick to the spectacular and crowd pleasing? Lots to consider.

In planning out this hypothetical schedule, I called upon my love of making mix-discs for friends. Variety is key. You want to have an overall experience. Showing too much of the same becomes mind-numbing, but you also don't want to be arbitrary. There has to be some sort of logical flow  to the day. You have to really Rob Gordon this shit. Peaks and valleys, man. Peaks and valleys.

Having sweated out every decision here, I can now say with absolute certainty that if you were to dedicate a full two days to following the precise screening regimen I am about to lay out for you here, you will have one of the most cinematically fulfilling weekends ever!

So without further ado...

Day One
  • 12:00pm - Singin' in the Rain
  • 2:00pm - Nashville
  • 5:00pm - A Night at the Opera
  • 6:45pm - Alphaville
  • 8:45pm - Sleeping Beauty (1959)
  • 10:15pm - Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn
  • 12:00am - The Blues Brothers

Day Two
  • 12:00pm - The Red Shoes
  • 2:30pm - The Lady Vanishes
  • 4:15pm - The Rules of the Game
  • 6:30pm - Hard Boiled
  • 8:45pm - Blow Out
  • 10:30pm - The Freshman (1925)
  • 12:00am - Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

Which films would make the cut at your personal film festival? Should I program a third day? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment