Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Some Like it Hot (1959)


Today is Tony Curtis's birthday, and my Instagram feed was blowing up with pictures of the actor. One photo in particular cracked me up, featuring Curtis in his skivvies with full makeup, and it reminded me that I haven't yet sung the praises of one of my favorite comedies, Some Like it Hot.

In case you haven't seen this (and what are you WAITING for??), it's about two musicians (Curtis and Jack Lemmon) who accidentally witness a mob massacre. Fearing for their lives, they disguise themselves as women and join an all-girls band. Things get a little complicated when one takes a liking to the vivacious and sexy Sugar Kane (Marilyn Monroe) and the other finds himself the object of a rich bachelor's (Joe E. Brown) affections. Sound like a hoot? It is!

This movie is definitely one of my favorites. I saw it in high school when I was first getting into classic film and it introduced me to the comedic brilliance of Jack Lemmon, who really runs away with this role. Curtis is restrained in his female role, but shines when in disguise again, this time as a wealthy playboy doing a hilariously over-the-top Cary Grant accent, in attempts to woo Sugar Kane. Marilyn Monroe is Marilyn, haha, playing the breathy bombshell as only she could. Her performances in this film are all memorable ("I Wanna Be Loved by You" and "I'm Through With Love") but my personal favorite is her first, "Running Wild" where she dances enthusiastically while rocking out on her ukelele. And the best part of this movie? It is so so so funny. It's one of those movies where I find myself giggling in anticipation of a favorite line or facial expression (Lemmon, again, is the funniest part of this movie). It's a comedy classic and worth a watch by just about everyone.

And if you don't like it? Hey, nobody's perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment