Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Ponette (1996)


I just watched Ponette for the first time last night (in 10 installments on YouTube, of all things) and I absolutely loved it.  It's the story of a young girl grieving over the sudden death of her mother, unable to accept reality. Ponette is played by four year old actress Victoire Thivisol and I honestly don't know how a four year old was able to do such a phenomenal job. It's heartbreaking, it's beautiful, and it really shows you the world through the eyes of a child. The dialogue, their games, their faces, it's all so genuine and completely distinct to childhood. I did a post a while back on favorite child performances in film, and had I seen this before writing that, young Victoire would be topping the list. A great performance in a subtle and beautiful film. Get your tissues ready and give this a watch!




No comments:

Post a Comment