Friday, January 10, 2014

Movie Resolutions



Psh, look at them. He's not even WATCHING the movie. Also that is the brightest movie theater ever.

Let's talk about New Year's resolutions. A lot of us vow to be healthier this year, more organized, more mindful of this or that. But do you make movie resolutions?

I do! Here are a few:

1. Stop reading message boards and ignore the snobs. I know, I know. But I don't need some tool I don't know telling me why I shouldn't have liked the movie I just saw and loved. Or that the twist I was surprised by was sooooo predictable and anyone who didn't see it coming was stupid. Basically, I need to avoid smug jerks in general. Don't rain on my cinematic parade!

2. Watch at least one new-to-me movie a week. I'm a creature of routine and I really love revisiting old favorites over and over and over (I'm the same way with books). So while it is wonderful to watch The Trouble With Angels for the hundred billionth time, there are a lot of great films out there just waiting for me to discover them!

3. Knock movies off that To See list! I recently got around to watching Hitchcock's Rebecca for the first time, which I'd been meaning to see for years. My first thought (besides WOW that was great!) was WHAT TOOK ME SO LONG? I have a list on my phone of movies I want to see, and so help me God(ard), I will see them!

4. No more bad movie theater experiences! Okay, so I can't control everything that happens in a theater (such as a meltdown during 2001 so extreme the movie had to be stopped, punches were thrown, and supposedly a taser was involved, true story). But I can speak up or move if my seat is being repeatedly kicked or if some of my fellow theater-goers won't shut up. No more will I suffer in silence!

5. Enjoy! This goes hand in hand with the first one. I enjoy movies the most when I step away from other people's opinions and I stop overthinking things.  When I'm able to remember that feeling of wonder when I saw my first silent film, when I watched E.T. and the boys on their bicycles take flight under the stars at the Hollywood Bowl, when I realize how many countless movie scenes still take my breath away, when I realized back in high school just how much movies meant to me, how damn important they are...that's when I'm happiest. I never want to stop loving film.


1 comment:

  1. These are really good resolutions! I was aiming for watch a new movie every day, but I think that's overly ambitious. Haha. I would like to double my count from last year, though (100 in total) but one a week is actually a really good balance. Good luck with your movie resolutions! :D
    As for #1, I really love a good critical discussion of movies, at times, but it has to be a *discussion*, you know? Not just someone derisively telling me, as you said, why the movie I enjoyed and loved was rubbish or, even worse, why I am stupid for liking it. Even the most seasoned critics don't agree on which movies are 'good' and which are 'bad', and that's part of what I love about movies, but no one should make someone else feel stupid for loving something.

    ReplyDelete