Thursday, September 26, 2013

Video Days (1991)


Growing up in Southern California in the 90’s it was impossible to avoid skate culture. Though I never became a skater myself, I always found myself on the periphery of that scene. I loved spending time in skate shops. So many interesting things to look at! Reservoir Dogs posters next to Hook-Ups shirts with anime girls on them? Window stickers of Calvin as Spaceman Spiff!? I was in aesthetic heaven. Oddly enough, the one thing I never bothered to get into was skate films. Sure there was always playing on a screen somewhere, but I was too busy rummaging through posters to notice. To me they were all the same: fish-eye lens shots of kids grinding to Pennywise songs. Seen one, you've seen ‘em all right? Apparently not.

Directed by Spike Jonze and released in 1991, Video Days is something of a revelation. While there is nothing overly remarkable about the skating on display (says the guy who can’t even ollie) what sets this film apart from the others is the soundtrack. War? The Jackson Five? John Coltrane? Yes, please!

While “Low Rider” over the opening credits is pretty standard, hearing “I Want You Back” kick in while Guy Mariano sails through the air is a thing of sheer beauty. And Red Garland’s piano intro to “Traneing In” sounds fits so well you’d swear it was composed for the express purpose of accompanying Mark Gonzalez’s skating. Of course in true punk rock fashion, none of this music was legally licensed. Fortunately the whole 24 minute opus can be found on Youtube…at least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment