Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Our Movie Art Collection

If there's one thing I love almost as much as movies, it's decorating my home with things I love. Since cinema is so important to us, we've always had movie art in our home, whether it be movie posters or original art. I though I'd give you a peek at some of our favorite pieces!


"Portrait of an Iron Giant as a Young Vin Diesel" by Mike Mitchell, purchased at Gallery 1988 in Los Angeles




This is our newest piece, and one of my favorites. From afar it resembles a star chart, and it is based on the night sky over Los Angeles on October 6th 1927, the release date of The Jazz Singer. And up close...


...constellations made up of classic films and the actors who starred in them. How cool is that? Available here.


A super awesome tin mini-poster! Can't go wrong with Metropolis (this was a gift from my brother, I believe). 


This one features prominently in our living room. It doesn't seem to be available anymore, but it was purchased from MovieGoods.com, a great place to find unusual and foreign movie posters (we also have the Italian poster for The Producers, which translates the title to Per favore, non toccate le vecchiette, AKA Please, Do Not Touch the Old Ladies, hahahahaha!)


Jaws and Willy Wonka prints by Dave Perillo, purchased at Gallery 1988. I love these SO MUCH.


These are actually part of a set of 10 by artist Elaine Hanelock, of whom I can find little to no information. Her prints pop up on eBay occasionally...I was lucky enough to get the set of 10 for about 20 bucks, woo! Pictured: Charlie Chaplin, Jean Harlow, John Barrymore. Not pictured: Clara Bow, Laurel & Hardy, Mae West and W.C. Fields, The Marx Brothers, Clark Gable, Will Rogers, and Marie Dressler & Wallace Beery.


BE JEALOUS. This super amazing (and huge!) painting of Waris Ahluwalia in the film The Darjeeling Limited was painted by our roommate Aaron Vogel. It's truly awesome in person. We had to show it off at our Wes Anderson party


Haha this one is actually done by yours truly, of Margot Tenenbaum when she visits her "real" family. We got quite a bit of cool art out of that party...


This is another one by our roommate Aaron, a portrait of Wes Anderson.


Another Margot Tenenbaum, done by our friend Sapira Cheuk. I love this one...it's so small and delicate. Gorgeous.


Ah, John Waters! This was painted by our friend Chris Melgar. Too cool, right? Of course, when you put out a Christmas wish for a portrait of John Waters, you get not one...


...but two! This one is by my sister, the mega-talented Adrienne Deveaux. I love the style of this one.


And finally, on my nightstand, a very fabulous My Man Godfrey poster. Oh Carole Lombard, you so saucy.

Hope you enjoyed the peek at our walls!


















1 comment:

  1. Wow! Those two portraits of John Waters are amazing. :D I don't have a lot of movie art around - I've got a cute print of an illustration of Vincent Price at his own 'death day' party and a print-out of a Casablanca poster. I also collect the little flier-sized posters that cinemas have of coming movies and sometimes stick those on the back of my door.

    ReplyDelete