Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)


I woke up early this morning to watch RuPaul's Drag Race (like every Tuesday morning) and I remembered that I needed to write a post in here, but what about? Why the best drag queen movie ever, of course! The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert is about drag queens Mitzi (Hugo Weaving) and Felicia (Guy Pearce) and transsexual Bernadette (Terence Stamp) who are contracted to appear in a cabaret gig in the middle of the Australian desert. They start their road trip in a purple (oh excuse me, lavender) bus named Priscilla, and that is where the adventure begins!

I love this movie. It has spice, it has bite, and it's visual eye candy all over the place. It took home the Oscar for costuming, and it's easy to see why. There's a dress made entirely from flip flops! I love the contrast of the artifice and glamour of drag against the harsh and beautiful Australian outback. The harshness of the desert helps the girls tell their stories, or at least come to terms with themselves in their own way. They meet a colorful cast of characters (including a dog named Herpes!), create a fabulous show, and reconnect with themselves and other loved ones. All in all it's a fun movie with great acting, great visuals, and great music. ABBA, anyone?

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I remember not being allowed to see this film for quite some time ;) But now one of my favourites of all-time. Such a great film to quote. Haha.

    ReplyDelete