Tuesday, January 29, 2013

50/50 (2011)


50/50 is the story of a young man suddenly coming face to face with his own mortality when he is diagnosed with a very serious type of cancer. Survival odds? 50%. He doesn't understand how this could happen to him ("That doesn't make any sense though. I mean...I don't smoke, I don't drink...I recycle...") and is now struggling to find his footing in his world that has been completely flipped upside down.

I really responded to this movie the first time I saw it, and of course the first time I saw it I was busy bawling because I cry during everything. The second time I watched it, I spent the movie appreciating the acting. Can I just say how happy I am that Joseph Gordon-Levitt exists as an actor? He's great in this, as is Seth Rogen as his Very-Seth-Rogen-Type-Best-Friend. I'm teasing...while Rogen is definitely playing a character in his wheelhouse, he adds real heart to this film. Additionally, the film is inspired by the true story of writer Will Reiser's experience with cancer (that Rogen helped Reiser cope with) so it's only right that Rogen play the supportive friend here.

This film is funny without being bawdy, sad without being depressing, and touching without being schmaltzy. I guess that's a little like life, isn't it? I highly recommend this film if you aren't sure what to add next to your Netflix queue! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment