Thursday, December 20, 2012

Holy Motors (2012)

A mysterious man (Denis Lavant) is driven around in a white limo to various "appointments". Inside the limo he applies makeup and prosthetics to become different people.

*      *      * 

This film really reminded me of early (less misanthropic) Godard. From start to finish it is 100% a work of joyous provocation. In fact, it had me giggling and smiling more than most comedies. This may also have had something to do with the elderly couple I knew was a few rows behind me. You could hear a pin drop during the motion-capture scene. I think I would pay admission just to watch that couple for the film's entire run time.

While some parts went on a little too long or got a touch too maudlin, overall it was a wonderful experience. I appreciate when a filmmaker is able to make the medium do that which only it can. Holy Motors is a uniquely cinematic experience that could never exist as anything but as a film. In fact, it's so much a film that it is several films all at once. If this were a just universe, Denis Lavant would get an Oscar nomination for his chameleon-like performance. Too bad this universe is un-just. Perhaps Eva Mendes will get a supporting nod for being able to keep a straight face through that recreation of La PietĂ . Vive la Cinema!

No comments:

Post a Comment