Monday, November 5, 2012

Argo (2012)

Based on the unbelievable true story of the mission to extract six American diplomats hiding out in Iran after the embassy siege...by passing them off as a Canadian film crew.

*      *      *

After the flat-out success of the small-scale Gone Baby Gone, director Ben Affleck attempted to up the ante with the much more epic The Town. While I know a lot of people who loved that film, I found it to be a weird mish-mash of capable action and drama that never really came together as anything meaningful. When I first heard about Argo, I was dreading a repeat of The Town. When I saw the trailer I was dreading something akin to George Clooney's abysmal Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Thankfully all my worries were ill founded. Ben Affleck knocks it out of the park on this one creating a riveting story full of tension that is also capable of taking a break for a few chuckles. It's a very delicate balance that few films are able to pull off, but this one does. When I saw that shot of the wineglass being carried on a tray from the costumed script read-through to the back kitchen where a TV is showing hostage crisis coverage, I was blown away. The perfect hand-off. Ben Affleck is the real deal folks. To anyone who says otherwise I say, "Argo fuck yourself!"

No comments:

Post a Comment