Friday, November 30, 2012

Actors Playing Actors (better than Lindsay Lohan)

After the premiere of that much-maligned Lifetime movie Liz & Dick (in which Lindsay Lohan stars as Elizabeth Taylor), I thought I'd do a mini-list of my 5 favorite performances where actors playing actors!  I recommend all these films wholeheartedly.  And no, I didn't watch the Liz Taylor movie. I don't think I ever need to.

Robert Downey Jr. as Charles Chaplin in Chaplin (1992)


Michelle Williams as Marilyn Monroe in My Week With Marilyn (2011)


Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood (1994)


Cate Blanchett as Katharine Hepburn in The Aviator (2004)


Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford in Mommie Dearest (1981) 
I *had* to. Where would be be without camp?

Any other recommendations? Let us know!

1 comment:

  1. Guh, yes, Michelle Williams was so beyond what I thought she'd be and I'd already thought she'd be great. And Cate as Kate! So amazing. I've always had a soft spot for Liz with Sherilyn Fenn - for some reason I watched it over and over as a child. I'm fairly certain it's quite awful but, well, it's still Sherilyn Fenn! I'm trying to think of others, now...I seem to be only able to think of biopics, etc., about musicians right now, though.

    ReplyDelete