Friday, October 5, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)


Freshman Charlie (Logan Lerman) is socially awkward and a loner. He's anticipating a pretty miserable high school experience, until seniors Patrick (Ezra Miller) and Sam (Emma Watson) take him under their wing and welcome him into their circle of friends.

Don't you love when a movie you've been eagerly anticipating turns out to be awesome? I'm a big fan of the novel by Stephen Chbosky (who directed the film and adapted the screenplay)...I must've read it at least five times since high school. I can't explain the weirdly sad and nostalgic feeling I get from the book (considering my high school experience was absolutely nothing like the book), but it's a beautiful story that I return to time and time again. Having the author direct the film reassured me that the overall feel of the story would remain intact. Really strong performances from all, especially Lerman and Miller, and I also loved the heck out of Mae Whitman's Mary Elizabeth. I found her simultaneously more bitchy and more sympathetic than she was in the book. I think really seeing a character's face brings a whole new dimension than just reading about the character. I'm so happy this adaptation was successful!

I'm trying not to gush, but this is truly a special film. It captures the fear of future that so many of us felt at that age, and the performances are SO good. I highly recommend checking this film out!

Sam: Why do I and everyone I love pick people who treat us like we're nothing? 
Charlie: We accept the love we think we deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment