Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Hotel Transylvania (2012)

Let me start off by saying that while I can be snobbish at times about what movies I will or won't watch, I have a soft spot for movies that are cute. When I saw the trailer for Hotel Transylvania, I thought it looked cute, and that's exactly what it was.

The premise isn't anything groundbreaking. Overprotective dad wants to keep daughter safe, daughter wants to see the world, enter love interest who shakes things up. The fact that it features old-school movie monsters makes my 10th grade goth heart sing. Is it predictable? Sure. But it was visually fun, and despite what the more sour critics will tell you, has plenty of laughs. Unfortunately, as with many recent films aimed at a younger audience, it has elements that won't really stand the test of time. Fart jokes and auto-tune? Sigh. Luckily those moments are brief, and it actually has a funny blink-and-you'll-miss-it jab at the Twilight films. I also enjoyed the voice work, especially David Spade as the Invisible Man and Chris Parnell as the Fly.

Is this a cinematic masterpiece? No, of course not.  But I saw it with three other adults and we had a marvelous time, and that makes it pretty good in my book, film snob or not!

1 comment:

  1. yeah, my snobbery took a back seat to sheer enjoyment as well. tracie and i had a great time as well.

    ReplyDelete