Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Cinematic Obi-Wan, my Dad.


In May 2006 I begged my dad to take me to a screening of The Poseidon Adventure in San Pedro, CA. Stella Stevens and Carol Lynley were going to be there and I was VERY excited. He kind of laughed and asked why I was so obsessed with the movie. I pointed out to him that the only reason I knew anything about the film was because of him. In fact, the reason I’ve seen many great films and come to cherish them is because of him: my unofficial film mentor, my Obi-Wan, if you will.

 I don’t remember the exact moment I realized how important the world of cinema was to me; it was gradual. Naturally I watched movies as a kid, Disney mostly. The things I really remember are the bits of trivia my dad would tell me during the film. “Did you know that the littlest mushroom [in Fantasia] is named Hop Low?” “They changed that line [in Aladdin] because it was offensive.” “They did the clockwork in The Great Mouse Detective with computers too, just like the stampede [in The Lion King].”...and so on. His favorite parts became my favorite parts, because I wanted to be, and think, like him. As I got older, the film education continued. One time at Blockbuster, my dad decided we were renting Plan 9 From Outer Space and Ed Wood. He held up Plan 9, saying “We’re renting these. And we’re watching this first so you’ll get the jokes in...” He held up Ed Wood, “...this.” I remember him closing the blinds and making popcorn to watch Ben Hur, the ending of which was the one and only time I ever saw him get choked up. When we watched The Godfather together, we dubbed Michael Corleone’s Sicilian bride “Barbie Tits” and sadly called out her new name when she got blown up in the car. We watched 2001 together and he told me about the first time he saw it on the big screen, how it blew his mind. So many films make me think of him: Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Amadeus, The Searchers (make that ANY John Wayne movie), The Sting, and many more. I can almost hear a running commentary in my head when I watch them alone. I remember everything he said. 

Last year I went with my dad and his girlfriend to an AFI movie trivia presentation at the Hollywood Bowl. It was a perfect night: great weather, a gorgeous rainbow overhead before the show, a buzz of excitement pulsing through the crowd. As it began, the orchestra played a medley of iconic film music accompanied by a montage of film scenes on the screen. When the music to ET: The Extra Terrestrial kicked in and lightning lit up the sky, I became overwhelmed and misty-eyed. What a beautiful moment, and what perfect company. My dad teased me a bit for being a sap (which I am!), but I don’t think he realized what an impact these movies, and his words, had on me. I’m so grateful that as a child I had someone I admired to fill my head with knowledge and set me up for a lifelong appreciation of film. It’s something I will treasure forever. 

 So thanks, Dad. Seriously.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment