Monday, March 5, 2012

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002)





I've got weddings on the brain! Some very near and dear friends got hitched over the weekend and I'm over the moon for them. So! Being that I'm still floating on clouds, I thought I'd give a little shout-out to one of my favorite wedding movies, My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Toula (writer Nia Vardalos) is something of an ugly duckling, going through what she calls a "Frump Girl phase". Everyone in her Greek family wants her to marry a nice Greek boy, have kids, everything that she's "supposed" to do, and the clock is ticking. After gaining confidence and a new look, she meets a very nice non-Greek vegetarian teacher...something her family did NOT have in mind. Let the chaos begin!

I'll just say it: this movie is cute. Vardalos did an excellent job of making the film completely relatable to almost anyone, Greek or not. My family is Mexican and I found myself laughing at their quirks as I thought of my own family's weirdness. It's a feel-good film about life and celebration, and loving your family even when you want to strangle them!

Give it a watch! OPA!

1 comment:

  1. one of my favourite movies ever, with a great sense of humor and surely the whole plot's very interesting. I would also describe it as cozy one:)

    ReplyDelete