Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Edward Scissorhands (1990)





We've all seen this move, right? Right? Go rent it immediately if you haven't. Hell, BUY IT. In case you haven't...

An old inventor (Vincent Price) makes a man named Edward (Johnny Depp), but dies before he can give him hands (how he ended up with scissor hands, I'll never know). An "Avon Lady" (Dianne Wiest) discovers him living alone in a crumbling castle, and brings him to live with her and her family in pastel-suburbia. The neighbors accept him with open arms...at first.

This film is so very very special to me. It really speaks to anyone who has ever felt like an outcast, like they didn't belong. Whenever I watch it I immediately feel reconnected to my high school self. I remember watching it at my friend's house when I was a freshman, and being so captivated by the images I was seeing: the groomed shrubbery, dogs, and women's hairstyles, Winona Ryder dancing in the swirling ice, the blades of Edward's "hands" catching the light as he tries to hold the girl he loves, the tears in his eyes when he tells her he can't. Edward is basically my generation's Frankenstein monster. He didn't ask to be created, he's just trying to figure out where he belongs and inadvertently causes destruction. A beautiful film, truly, I can't say much else about it.

I wish Tim Burton would read this. I miss the spirit of his older work so much, as I ranted about at length here. Hopefully his new Frankenweenie film will be a step in the right direction. I guess we'll see.

Happy watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment