Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Auntie Mame (1958)



Craig was asking me the other day why I haven't written about Auntie Mame yet. After all, it's my favorite movie ever! I was putting it off because I didn't know what to say other than "OMG THIS MOVIE IS THE BEST EVER!!" But I thought I'd give it a try anyways.

When young Patrick's father suddenly dies, he is sent to live with his aunt Mame Dennis (Rosalind Russell). Mame is eccentric, vivacious, and pretty awesome. The film follows her life through her devotion to her nephew, romantic interludes, and everything in between.

So why do I love this film so much? It's hilarious! Rosalind Russell is fantastic, and the supporting cast is pretty great too. From the awkwardly nerdy secretary Agnes Gooch to the insufferably snobby Upsons, this film does not lack in colorful characters. And the dialogue! Rosalind Russell can deliver one-liners at breakneck speed like nobody else. The sets are gorgeous, the scenes end in fade-to-black so it feels like you're watching a play, and, once again, it's so so funny. I quote this movie all the time, and let's not forget the movie's famous bit of wisdom: Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!



Happy viewing, and eat up!

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, I guess it is time to see this again. Your review and the trailer make me wish I was home under a blanket and watching it right now.

    ReplyDelete