Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Wedding Singer (1998)



Robbie Hart (Adam Sandler) is a popular wedding singer who's about to get married to his own lucky lady...until that lady leaves him standing at the altar ("Hey, Linda! You're a bitch!"). Julia Sullivan (Drew Barrymore) is a waitress who befriends the wedding singer, and she's engaged to The Biggest Jerk Ever. I'd imagine that you could figure out the rest. ;)

I love this movie, it's so 80s and cute and fun. I'm sure I'll get rocks thrown at me for saying this, but as fun as Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore are, they're kinda crazy. The Wedding Singer is easily my favorite Adam Sandler movie. He gets to be funny, but he also gets to be sweet, and he and Drew Barrymore have great chemistry together (not so evident in 50 First Dates, sigh). This film also has some memorable supporting characters...Alexis Arquette as a Boy George wannabe (sobbing big fat mascara tears, haha), Steve Buscemi as the drunk best man as one of the weddings, and Ellen Albertini Dow as an adorable old lady who pays Robbie for singing lessons with meatballs.

The Wedding Singer is a date night sort of movie, so if you're in the mood for that, I recommend giving it a watch. See Adam Sandler team up with Billy Idol on a plane! See Sandler sing a bitter and hilarious song about his ex! See Sandler threaten to strangle someone with a microphone cord! And don't take this movie too seriously, it's meant to be fun!

2 comments:

  1. "Nobody talks to Billy Idol that way!" I adore this movie and it never fails to make me well up when he sings her that song on the plane. But the soundtrack is to die for. I bought both cd's and would probably have wore a hole through them if that sort of thing were possible. I think there was a phase where I fashioned myself after every character in this movie...yup, one glove, denim jackets, combat boots and dresses.

    ReplyDelete