Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension (1984)



It's up to rockstar/surgeon/test-pilot Buckaroo Banzai (Peter Weller) to save the earth from inter-dimensional aliens and a mad scientist (John Lithgow).

*      *      *

Buckaroo Banzai is the type of film you use to, "audition" a new friend. If they don't, "get it" then they are not worth associating with. This film is flat-out AWESOME! It has everything one could want in a movie: action, comedy, music, romance, aliens and watermelons. A lot of thought was put into this film and the universe it takes place in is so fleshed out that you could live in it. The DVD even comes with a caption track that adds to the story-line and character development. It's truly an obsessive's wet dream!





Post Script:
I have realized that there are probably about 10 on this planet who will respond to the, "selling points" I put forth in this review. Of those 10, I would say probably 9 have already seen this film. To the rest of the world I guess I'll say: It's kind-of/sort-of like The Fifth Element...but set in New Jersey.

1 comment:

  1. I'm (very happily) part of the 9. My dad had this on LaserDisc, but we didn't have anything to play it on by the time I was born. So until my dad found a VHS copy at Blockbuster when I was in jr. high, all I had to go on was my dad's reminiscences and an overall feeling that I would love this movie. And I did. You're right about the DVD extras, they are some of the best I've seen put to a film. Excellent Thanksgiving choice, haha.

    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete