Monday, October 24, 2011

Young Frankenstein (1974)



Probably the funniest movie on my October movie list, Young Frankenstein just gets better every time I watch it. It's a loving homage to the Frankenstein films of the 1930s and it's hilarious.

Frederic Frankenstein (Gene Wilder) (oh, and it's pronounced Fronkensteeen) has inherited his famous grandfather's castle, discovers his lab, and decides to try his hand at reanimating the dead. Marty Feldman is Igor, the hunchback, Teri Garr is Inga, the sexy lab assistant, Madeline Kahn is Elizabeth, Frankenstein's ditzy fiance, and Peter Boyle is the monster! Also featuring Cloris Leachman, Kenneth Mars, and Gene Hackman (in a very funny tiny role), this film has top-notch performances from some of the most hilarious actors ever. I can't even begin to explain some of the gags, but they're non-stop. If you've seen this film before, you already know what happens if you say "Blucher" around the horses, you know why Inspector Kemp can light his "hand" on fire to light a cigar, and you know that the castle doors have a pretty impressive set of knockers. You know how to put on the ritz, and you know how to "walk this way." If you haven't seen it, please do!

Young Frankenstein is one of my favorite comedies of all time. I have fond memories of watching it when I was younger, and while I may not have understood all the jokes, I was being exposed to all the songs and other films it was referencing. How Mel Brooks managed to release this and Blazing Saddles in the same year I"ll never know!

Give this one a go, and don't forget to PUT! ZE CANDLE! BACK!

1 comment:

  1. Great review! You captured all the magic that is this film. Makes me want to go out and see it right now!

    ReplyDelete