Monday, October 10, 2011

The Others (2001)



Grace (Nicole Kidman) lives in an old house with her two children who are sensitive to light and must live in darkness. She raises them alone while her husband has been away in the war. She is very protective of her children and teaches them all about God, heaven, and hell. Feeling very isolated and cut off from the world, Grace is relieved when three housekeepers who are already familiar with the house arrive to offer their services. But things start getting very creepy when Grace's daughter insists that there are other people lurking in the house.

The Others isn't your typical horror film. It's more spooky and atmospheric than scary (which I prefer!), and Nicole Kidman is great in this. She's not my favorite actress...most of the time I find her uptight and not super likeable. But the character of Grace is exactly that. She gets migraines, she's nervous, she's irritable, and she's desperately trying to be in control of a situation that's completely beyond her. The servants seem to know more than they're letting on, the children refer to an incident that nobody wants to talk about, and the whole situation leaves the audience wondering what's really going on.

If I'm being vague it's because I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it. You'll thank me for it. :) But I highly recommend this film. Yes, it's a bit slow, but it's a great October movie for those who like their scares to be of the quieter, well written and beautifully shot kind.

Streamable on Netflix! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the movie and your review! You build enough intrigue yet don't give anything away. I always enjoy your reviews though I don't always post a comment.

    ReplyDelete