Thursday, October 20, 2011

Dracula (1931)




Today is Bela Lugosi's birthday, which means of course I have to write a little blurb about Dracula. I don't know where to start...I watch it every year on his birthday because I'm a huge nerd. It's not a perfect film by any means, but it's got a mesmerizing quality to it that keeps me coming back year after year.

The plot isn't important...vampire stalks victims, basically. But it's got such style! Bela Lugosi is perfect...he's so refined and creepy and peculiar. Definitely a step up looks-wise from the human rat Nosferatu. He slinks around with his shiny hair, gives the best dirty looks, and can turn into a bat. Or a wolf. Or mist! I never saw or read Twilight, but I'll bet Edward doesn't have those mad skills! The film relies a lot on the audience's imagination...we don't see any actual attacks, and some of the creepiest moments aren't seen but described by a character. It works very well and I wish more films would let the audience create their own images.

Can we talk about Dwight Frye, who plays Dracula's deranged henchman Renfield? He's fantastic. I wish he was better known! He also appeared in Frankenstein as Fritz, the lab assistant. He has the best crazy laugh, and he's funny and scary and pitiful. He makes this movie for me.

This film has stayed a classic throughout the years for a reason. It's spooky and entertaining and doesn't get old for me. If you're open-minded I suggest giving the version with the Philip Glass score a watch. And if you really want to get in the spirit of things, read the book (it's awesome)! Don't forget the garlic and the crucifix!

No comments:

Post a Comment