Monday, August 1, 2011

Star Trek (2009)


I just rewatched this and remembered how fun it is! I grew up in a Star Trek family (we had a lot of the movies, and I have fond memories of watching The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager) and seeing new versions of the beloved characters from the original series is a real treat!

This is a prequel to the original series, and while the film has some weird logic and a weak villain, it is saved by some fine acting in the rest of the cast. The crew of the Enterprise has such great chemistry together, especially Kirk (Chris Pine) and Spock (Zachary Quinto) as they butt heads in the early stages of their friendship. My other favorites are John Cho as Sulu, Anton Yelchin as Chekov and Karl Urban as Bones (truth be told I kinda have a crush on just about everyone in the cast)!

The action's awesome, the jokes are funny, the sad bits tug at your heartstrings, and there are a lot of fun nods to the original characters ("I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" "I'm giving it everything she's got!" "Fascinating!"). It's streamable on Netflix right now so if you haven't seen it, get to it!
As Kevin Smith would say "Set phasers to FUN!" Bahahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment