Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Female Trouble (1974)


Following the misadventures of Dawn Davenport (Divine) as she goes from high school bad girl, to burglar, to fashion icon, to mass murderer.

*      *      *

This film feels like the manifesto of John Waters in his early years. It's all there: his love for "bad girls" alongside musings on fashion, art, family, crime and punishment. But then again, all of his films are lovingly demented collages of his obsessions. I can't really put my finger on why I place this film above all others in the  John Waters oeuvre. Maybe it's the opening title song sung by Divine herself? Or maybe it's the line "Nice girls don't wear cha-cha heels!" Could it be Vince Peranio's sets? Or maybe it's the magnificence of David Lochary's mustache? AAAAH! Thinking about all this wonderfulness is just too much. I have to stop before my brain explodes. Just see the damn movie! OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment