Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Schizopolis (1996)


Any attempt to describe the plot to this film would result in the frying of not only my brain but yours as well. You are welcome.

*      *      *

The mid 90s was not a good time to be Steven Soderbergh. His career was stalled and his marriage had fallen apart. But rather than unloading on a shrink, Soderbergh chose to unload on us the viewing public. This film is literally the director's id poured out on film without a filter. Oh and did I mention that he stars in it too with his ex-wife? Entire scenes play out in gibberish without subtitles and there is an extended scene of him making faces in a mirror. Some might call this film "masturbatory" and I think Steven would agree with them. There is a scene of him compulsively masturbating. I don't think it gets much plainer than that.

I don't think my review has done the film any justice. But then again I don't think any review could. You either end up making it sound too profound or too silly and this film is both. Definitely not for all tastes, but worth a watch. Arsenal. Nose army.

No comments:

Post a Comment