Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mermaids (1990)


Ahh, Mermaids. This is one of those movies that was on TV all the time when I was younger so I *have* to adore it, naturally.

The year is 1963 and the Flax family is moving in. Daughter Charlotte (Winona Ryder) is a devout Catholic (despite being Jewish) and she is our beloved neurotic narrator. Little sister Kate (Christina Ricci in her debut!) is a swimmer destined for the Olympics. And mother Rachel Flax is a flaky, fabulous, flirty single mom who constantly runs away from her problems until she meets her match in Lou (Bob Hoskins). They are way cute together, seriously.

Anyways, I adore this movie. Winona Ryder's constant lusting after Jake Ryan (errr...I mean Michael Schoeffling...who does he play again?) is hilarious, Christina Ricci is adorable, Cher is fab, and there are a few standout scenes that are really touching (the under-the-sea bedroom, Rachel and Charlotte's showdown, the dance at the end).

Hooray for: Cher's hair! Oh my god, it's unstoppable. I adore her in this movie.
Boo to: Michael Schoeffling. Gawd. I know you hate acting and all, but at least TRY to look engaged in your role!

That's it! Pop some popcorn, curl your hair, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment